Fermented Beets and Carrots
Beets have long since been regarded for their cleansing properties and compounds that reduce high blood pressure, while also expanding muscle capacity, but fermented beets offer even more health benefits. Beets tend to be very high in sugar, so the fermentation process not only reduces those sugars, but makes the vitamins and minerals more bioavailable and nourishing to our body. If you are someone that is interested in cleansing metals and other toxins from your liver, and increasing your stamina, then beets need to be top on your list of foods to enjoy. The recipe below is simple and delicious. The added ginger adds anti-inflammatory properties that will not overpower the tangy flavor of the beets and carrots. Enjoy!
3-4 med to large size Organic Beets, shredded but unpeeled
5 Large Carrots, shredded but unpeeled
1½ inches of fresh ginger
1½ to 2 T. Celtic Sea Salt
1 Cutting Edge Brand Culture Packet, buy on Amazon
3 tsp. Inulin Powder, buy on Amazon
2 Ancient Earth Minerals from Body Ecology, optional
- Place shredded veggies in large bowl and set aside.
- Blend, ginger inulin powder, a small handful of your beets and carrot mix, and mineral caps in 5 cups of water. (See link to Body Ecology on right side column)
- Pour over veggies, sprinkle in salt and culture starter and mix well. Veggies should taste like a well salted potato chip.
- Place veggies in large canning jars. Be sure that veggies are covered in liquid, add more water if need be to the top. Leave at least 1 ½ inches of space at the top, so that the veggies have room to expand and prevent leakage.
- Place jars in a fabric cooler on top of a heating pad set to med heat. Heating pad should be outside the cooler, not inside, as this will get too hot and kill your bacteria.
- Let sit for 4-5 days. Taste them at 4 days to see if they are to your liking. They will become more tangy with more time. Check the warmth of your jars after 2 days to make sure they are just warm to the touch, not hot.
- Turn down heating pad to low if they are warm to the touch.In the summer months, you may not need a heating pad at all.