This is a wonderful soup in the winter or fall when the weather is cool and your body needs a bit more help fighting off the flu or cold. I also like to drink it before doing a deep cleanse, as it’s full of immune boosting spices and cleansing herbs. And, you can add your favorite proteins to make it a complete meal. The recipe below includes chopped chicken, but it’s also wonderful with an egg dropped in and slowly cooked, leaving the yolk soft and creamy.
The list of ingredients is long, but many of the items are optional. I tend to pack my recipes with nutrition, but make it how it best suits you.
Healing Ginger Soup
- 1 Onion, chopped and sauteed in coconut oil and/or ghee
- 1-2 T. Coconut Oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. Cumin
- 1/8 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- 2-3 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt, add to taste
- 4 C. Chicken Broth (homemade is best)
- 3 C. Water
- 1 small sheet of Kombu, approx. 2×4 inches, optional
- 2 Med. Carrots, chopped
- 2 Stalks Celery, chopped
- 1 C. Napa Cabbage, optional but highly recommended
- 2 1/2 tsp. fresh Ginger, minced
- 1 C. Chicken, chopped
- 10-12 Garlic Cloves, pressed
- 3/4 C. Cilantro, Mint and/or Basil, chopped (mix is nice, but cilantro is most important)
- 2 Green Onions, chopped
- 1 Lime, squeezed, optional
- 2 T. Collagen/Gelatin Powder
- Saute onion in large sauce pan in 1-2 T. coconut oil.
- After onions have had some time to cook, add all the dry spices and salt.
- Pour in the Chicken Broth and water. Bring to a light boil, then move to simmer. I like homemade broth the best. To make your own, simply cover your roasted chicken bones in 7-8 cups of water (I use 7 Cups for a more concentrated broth). Bring to a boil, then add 1 T. Apple Cider Vinegar and simmer for 1 ½ hours. Drain bones from broth. Cool broth in refrigerator. Then, skim fat from the top of the broth and use broth or freeze.
- Add the Kombu sheet. Kombu is a wonderful seaweed that adds nourishing minerals to your broths. After it has simmered for at least 10 mins, you can remove it or chop it up and put it back into your soup. I do the later.
- Add the chopped vegetables and fresh ginger. Let simmer on low for 5 mins.
- Add Chicken.
- Sprinkle in Collagen/Gelatin slowly to melt in.
- Press garlic, then let it sit at least 10 mins. This releases the allicin which is wonderfully antibacterial, cleansing of fungus and pathogens, and immensely immune boosting. Add to soup just before serving to maintain the potency of it’s healing agents.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, and serve!
- Heal and enjoy!